What is a Medical Leave?
A Medical Leave is a complete withdrawal from enrollment in a term as a result of a medical condition causing a catastrophic impact on a student’s ability to remain enrolled. It is also referred to as a Medical Withdrawal.
How and When are Requests Reviewed?
- Requests for Medical Leave are reviewed on a rolling basis throughout the year.
- Requests for Return from Medical Leave are reviewed 4 times per year.
- If a request for Medical Leave results in "supported with readiness to return required", the student will need to request a Return from Medical Leave and receive a "supported" outcome before being able to re-enroll at MSU.
- Return from Medical Leave review deadlines:
- March 1 (for students who intend to re-enroll for Summer term)
- May 15 (for student who intend to re-enroll for Fall term - early review)
- July 15 (for students who intend to re-enroll for Fall term - standard review)
- November 1 (for students who intend to re-enroll for Spring term)
Download and read the entire summary before making a request in the Medical Leave and Return Process (a Microsoft Word document will download):
Click to view the full Medical Leave and Return Process Summary
Download and explore the Medical Leave and Return Process flowchart (PDF with active hyperlinks): Click here to view the Medical Leave and Return Process Flowchart
All withdrawals from the University are subject to the Refund Policy: Refund of Course Fees and Tuition
- If you have questions about your last date of attendance and how that affects the refund amount you may be eligible for, please contact the Office of Student Support & Accountability prior to initiating a request for Medical Leave.
- For most requests for medical leave (medical withdrawal) that are supported, students receive a $500.00 lump-sum tuition refund for the term withdrawn.
- If you receive financial aid, contact the Office of Financial Aid to determine how taking a Medical Leave would impact your aid before initiating your request for leave.
The new Medical Leave and Return Process (MLRP) became effective for the Fall 2020 term, replacing the Medical Withdrawal Procedure, a previous University process. Students who are currently away from MSU due to a Medical Withdrawal and who need to complete verification of readiness to return before coming back should follow the “Return from Medical Leave” process, outlined in the MLRP summary. To initiate a request for Return from Medical Leave, visit the “Make a Request” section of the Office of Student Support & Accountability website. You may submit your request directly to the Office of Student Support & Accountability (you no longer submit your request to your College or NSSC).